Sonam Donkar, Head Treasury & Commercial Exports at PepsiCo India
“CSR is viewed not merely as a good-to-have activity, it should be moulded into must-have activity/function in every organisation”
“CASI can help create more awareness, build up professional distinction for various CSR activities & create a niche stream of professionals/flagbearers who could focus clearly on achieving the CSR sustainable development goals”
1. Comments on the Mandatory 2% contribution to CSR (The new law passed in India):
I think the application of 2% should be audited as actual CSR spent (on projects & actual activities instead of TV ad spends etc which seem to be happening currently)
2. Sustainable Development the concept and practice: Your comments please
Sustainable development is the key to reach/achieve CSR goals in real terms. However, this is still at conceptual stage as compared to practiced in the Corporate sector. This gives opportunity to bridge the gap between today & long term growth & development across relevant sectors.
3. The next generation of leaders will be more socially concerned and committed as employers, consumers and investors: Your comments please
Yes- this should be a top down approach & made more professional by way of continuous engagement amongst industry leaders
4. Sustainable development demands a change in processes, policies and products of a company: is this an opportunity or a threat for Indian corporates?
This is an opportunity for Indian Corporates as it helps rationalise the existing practices & creates conducive environment for overall development.
5. What opportunities do you see for education institutes in the growing field of CSR and Sustainability Education Institutions:
Create more awareness, engage with corporates for CSR activities & make it an on-going dialogue between industry & educational institutions.
6. Being a global brand, what is the opportunity for CASI in India?
CASI can help create more awareness, build up professional distinction for various CSR activities & create a niche stream of professionals/flagbearers who could focus clearly on achieving the CSR sustainable development goals
8. Please describe a CSR activity you have been personally involved in
As part of company’s CSR initiatives, I have been directly involved in rural medical camps, cleanliness drive by cleaning streets & painting the footpath, collected funds for orphanages & visited blind school, centre for special women & participated in “dream a dream” marathon apart In my personal capacity, I have participated as voluntary teacher at Institute of Small Trade & Learning.
9. Please share Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability activities of your firm
PepsiCO has a very strong CSR focus with strong association with farmers across India (25000+) & water conservation drive(can be read in all Aquafina bottles). There is a specific CSR team that focuses on making it productive & real engagement.
10. Please describe how your company or a company you are closely aware uses the concept of sustainable development to create better products or services
Mentioned above: -Water conservation drive by which PepsiCo conserves more water than it utilises; saves from water depletion. -Ensures farmers are adequately funded & have technical assistance for farming in various local markets. Employs technicians & has full fledged Agro team to guide these farmers & ensure proper cultivation as well as overall farmer well being(revenue & market guidance)
11. Any word of advice for Management Students
Ensure CSR is viewed not merely as a good-to-have activity, it should be moulded into must-have activity/function in every organisation
“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” -Buddha
**Views expressed are personal and may not necessarily reflect those of the organization.